The Android Pie for OnePlus 3 and 3T is in works for past few months. Finally, we have got our hands on the official and stable Android Pie firmware for OnePlus 3/3T. It is based on OxygenOS 9.0.2. Therefore, it comes with all the goodies of new Android version. This time, there are no bugs and therefore it is bound to run smoothly.
The only downside to this good news is that it is an incremental update. OnePlus is pushing the update to few selected devices at any given time. It could be weeks before it reaches your region. Hence, follow the guide below to download OnePlus 3/3T OxygenOS 9.0.2 Android Pie 9.0 official firmware. It is a stable release and extracted directly from the servers. Moreover, it is not an incremental update zip but a full OnePlus 3/3T Android Pie firmware zip. It works the same on both rooted and non-rooted devices.
The incremental update zips do not work with rooted phones. Since the system is modified, the update process may soft-brick the phone. On the other hand, non-rooted phones work with incremental update zips just fine. Therefore, we have got the full flashable zip of OxygenOS 9.0.2 for OnePlus 3/3T. The easiest way to judge if a file is either incremental update or full firmware is to check size. If the zip is over 1GB in size, then it is full update file and it works on both rooted and non-rooted phones.
- Charge your phone over 50%.
- Make a backup of all data on internal storage. The update may wipe the phone clean.
- Phone’s bootloader should be locked. Don’t know how to check? Then check the end of post to find out how.
- Make sure to download the correct firmware marked for your device.
- OnePlus 3 Android 9 Pie OxygenOS 9.0.2 full firmware – DOWNLOAD
- OnePlus 3T Android 9 Pie OxygenOS 9.0.2 full firmware – DOWNLOAD
How to install stable Android 9 Pie OxygenOS 9.0.2 firmware on OnePlus 3/3T
Before continuing, note that when you follow this method, your phone will be non-rooted if it was rooted earlier. You could always use Magisk to root it again. Moreover, this is the official method to update OnePlus phones. Therefore, do not worry about anything going south.
Steps to download and install official OxygenOS 9.0.2 Android Pie firmware on OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T.
- Download the full firmware zip from link given above.
In this post, we have included Android Pie zips for both phones. Therefore, download the correct file for your phone only.
- Copy the OxygenOS 9.0.2 firmware zip to phone’s root storage.
This is an important step. Once the firmware is downloaded fully, copy it to the root of your phone’s internal storage. It is the main folder and you cannot use the Up or back button here anymore.
- Head over to Settings > System > System Updates.
This is the official OnePlus setting to either download OTA updates or install them manually. Open Settings, scroll down and tap on System. Here, find System Update and open it.
- Tap on the Settings icon in top right and select ‘Local upgrade’.
The main screen of System Update shows the center that keeps checking online for available updates. Skip that and tap on the settings icon in top right. Here, select Local upgrade.
- Select downloaded Android Pie 9 Firmware zip from here.
If you followed the step 2 correctly, then the update zip should appear here.
- Tap on the correct update file in this window.
It is possible that some may have previously downloaded update files in root as well. Therefore, select only the recently downloaded file here.
- Phone will reboot into recovery and start updating it.
From here onwards, you don’t need to do anything. Just wait until the update is complete.
- Phone will reboot automatically after update is complete.
Once update process is done and Android Pie is flashed on OnePlus 3/3T, it will reboot to homescreen itself.
- That’s it! You’ve done it. The phone is now running on latest and stable Android Pie based on OxygenOS 9.0.2.
The first reboot may take longer than usual. This is so that all apps are developing their cache for first time.
- Rooted users can flash the firmware zip from TWRP recovery directly.
Just open the Install menu and select flashable zip from there. Don’t forget to wipe dalvik cache and cache storage before installing the update.
Not a fan of updating phone manually? But you still cannot wait for the OTA update. Here is a simple solution to get latest and stable Android Pie on OnePlus 3/3T automatically.
Install OxygenOS 9.0.2 Android 9 Pie on OP 3/3T with Oxygen Updater
A fair warning! Oxygen updater is an unofficial app developed by awesome OnePlus fans. Its goal is to make sure that your phone gets all latest updates as soon as possible. Follow the simple steps below.
- Install Oxygen Updater on your phone – Play Store.
- Open the app on your phone.
- Select update method as “Full Update” when app starts for first time.
- Non-rooted users can still opt for “Incremental update”. However, rooted OnePlus 3/3T can only go for Full update option.
- Once the setup is complete, go to app’s homescreen and let it search for the recently available firmware for your device.
- It is region-free. Therefore, if an update is available, it will show up here.
- Tap on the firmware to download it to phone and follow rest of the instructions to install it.
- That’s it! Now your phone should be running Android Pie (OxygenOS 9.0.2) now.
Optional: Check Bootloader Status and Re-lock it
Follow the steps below to check if bootloader of your phone is unlocked or not.
- Turn off phone.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Power keys until phone vibrates and Fastboot logo shows up.
- In this screen, the last line shows phone status as “locked” or “unlocked”. This status should be “locked”.
- Now press volume key until you see Turn Off option at top.
- Press power button to turn off the phone.
- Now turn it by just holding power button.
Steps to re-lock bootloader
If the bootloader of your phone is unlocked, then follow these steps. Otherwise, just move on to update process.
- Install ADB tools on your PC.
- Download and install Android SDK from HERE. Click on “Download Options”, scroll down to “Command Line Tools” and download Windows SDK tools from there. Mac and Linux users should download their own version.
- Next up, download ADB tools from HERE and extract in any drive (C, D, E).
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. To get developer options, go to Settings > About Phone and tap on Build number 7 times. Next up, go to Settings > System > Developer Options and enable USB Debugging. Allow USB Debugging permission from phone as well.
- Also make sure that your phone is on stock recovery. Flash the stock recovery image for your phone. It is is available in OnePlus forums.
- Now connect the phone to PC via USB Cable.
- Open Command Prompt.
- Type cd <Drive Letter>:/extracted folder title. (For example cd C:/Android).
- Now type “adb reboot bootloader” and press Enter.
- When phone reboots into bootloader mode, type “fastboot oem lock” and press Enter.
- The bootloader will now be locked. Just reboot the phone now.
What’s new in Android Pie for OnePlus 3/3T?
New system-wide UI
There is a massive change coming to OxygenOS 9.0.2. The overall system appearance is now sleeker and even more flat. The appearance of basic apps like Settings, Messages, Dialer is now based on Android Pie.
Changes to Do not disturb mode
Users now have the option to set time range for activating and deactivating do not disturb mode. It is similar to setting time range for Night mode / blue light filter.
Google Lens integration
This feature is first introduced in OnePlus 7 Pro. Thankfully, OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T will come equipped with it from the get go. Open the camera app, point it on any object, put a finger on screen (on the object) and hold it. Google lens will activate and perform a Google search for it.
Gaming Mode 3.0
It now supports text notifications, third-party calls and other types of notifications.
Overall, it is a huge upgrade and makes the phone feel a lot newer. Make sure that you follow all the steps carefully and everything will go fine.
Make sure to leave your queries and feedback in the comments section below